The Ice Maiden: Inca Mummies, Mountain Gods, and Sacred Sites in the Andes
Publication Date: 2005-06-01
Since Johan Reinhard found the mummy in 1995, news of its discovery has reached more than a billion people. It has been the subject of TV documentaries in several languages, and front-page newspaper stories (e.g. NY Times), major stories in magazines (e.g. Newsweek and Time). But most importantly it was one of the best-preserved mummies ever found and the only body of an Inca female. It provides the proverbial time capsule, a human frozen in time, whose study has yielded results ranging from the best preserved DNA of its age to the first complete clothing of an Inca noble woman.
Book of Peoples of the World: A Guide to Cultures
Publication Date: 2008-11-18
Created by a team of experts, this hands-on resource offers thorough coverage of more than 200 ethnic groups - some as obscure as the Kallawaya of the Peruvian Andes, numbering fewer than 1,000; others as widespread as the Bengalis of India, 172 million strong. We’re swept along on a global tour of beliefs, traditions, and challenges, observing the remarkable diversity of human ways as well as the shared experiences.
Publication Date: 2001-02-01
National Geographic Magazine Supplements
Search the NGVL for the most recent content. Click on the NGVL Search Tips tab above for an easy way to retrieve these titles in the database.
- ARCHAEOLOGY OF SOUTH AMERICA. NGM Map Supplement, 1982 Mar.
- Great Peoples of the Past. THE INCA: AN EMPIRE AND ITS ANCESTORS. NGM Map Supplement, 2002 May
- Great Peoples of the Past. THE INCA: MACHU PICCHU SALUTES THE SUN. NGM Painting Supplement, 2002 May
- Peoples of the World. INDIANS OF SOUTH AMERICA. NGM Map Supplement, 1982 Mar.
- The Greatest Achievement of Ancient Man in America. NGM Photo Supplement, 1916 May