A guide to content in the National Geographic Virtual Library (NGVL). Ask your Library about access!
Heading to England for a grand tour of "Downton Abbey" show locales? If so, check out the first two listings, both of which include Highclere Castle, the real Downton Abbey. Then peruse the photo book for inspiration, and the guides to round out your trip and find out what to do in London; perhaps you'll spot Edith in a restaurant (how improper!).
Now Leaving London: 5 Great Getaways By Train
Publication Date: 2012 May
Publication Date: 2012
Britain and Ireland: A Visual Tour of the Enchanted Isles
Publication Date: 2010-09-21
In 11 chapters, each geographic area comes alive through brisk historical narrative and lavish color photography, art, and maps. Author Robin Currie details captivating legacies and guides us to sites where their mysteries can still be experienced.
National Geographic Traveler: Great Britain
Publication Date: 2011-10-18
The allure of Great Britain's natural beauty, famously refined culture, and storied history has long held sway over visitors. The country is the number one destination for Americans traveling to Europe. Annually, more than 4,000,000 tourists cross the Atlantic to enjoy the island's myriad charms, including the rolling moors of Devon and Yorkshire, some of the world's finest museums, dining, and theater in the fabled streets of London.
Imagined London: A Tour of the World's Greatest Fictional City
Publication Date: 2006-01-17
Anna Quindlen first visited London from a chair in her suburban Philadelphia home—in one of her beloved childhood mystery novels. She has been back to London countless times since, through the pages of books and in person, and now, in Imagined London, she takes her own readers on a tour of this greatest of literary cities.
National Geographic Traveler: London
Publication Date: 2011-10-18
From venerable Westminster Abbey to the cutting-edge exhibitions of the Tate Modern art museum, from the Tower of London's imposing facades guarding the Thames to idyllic St. James's Park, London's storied history and myriad charms make it easy to understand why the city is the number one tourist destination for Americans visiting Europe. Illustrated with more than 120 vivid photographs and nearly 20 detailed, full-color maps, National Geographic Traveler: London, 3rd Edition brings you everything you need to know to plan a trip to this most alluring of cities.
Walking London: The Best of the City
Publication Date: 2012-03-06
Walking London is divided into the following sections: The Whirlwind Tours section shows you how to see the entire city in a day or a weekend; what sights will interest kids most; plus, a hedonist's tour that's pure pleasure from dawn to midnight and beyond.
Don't miss the November 1985 article, which gives an idea of what it's like to live in one of these homes in the modern day. Find lots of recent articles about London and England in the NGVL.
BRITISH ESTATES AND HOMES
- The Great Good Places: English Country Houses. NATIONAL GEOGRAPHIC magazine, 1985 Nov.
- Landmarks of Literary England: The Reverently Guarded Haunts and Homes of Britain's Great Writers Provide Modern Pilgrims with a Rewarding Glimpse of the Past. NATIONAL GEOGRAPHIC magazine, 1955 Sept.
- The Preservation of England's Historic and Scenic Treasures. NATIONAL GEOGRAPHIC magazine, 1945 Apr.
- A Vacation in a Fifteenth Century English Manor House. NATIONAL GEOGRAPHIC magazine, 1928 May
- Along London's Coronation Route. NATIONAL GEOGRAPHIC magazine, 1937 May
- As London Toils and Spins. NATIONAL GEOGRAPHIC magazine, 1937 Jan.
- Great Britain on Parade. NATIONAL GEOGRAPHIC magazine, 1935 Aug.
- Highlights of London Town. NATIONAL GEOGRAPHIC magazine, 1929 May
- London. NATIONAL GEOGRAPHIC magazine, 1915 Sept.
- London from a Bus Top. NATIONAL GEOGRAPHIC magazine, 1926 May
- Some Forgotten Corners of London: Many Places of Beauty and Historic Interest Repay the Search of the Inquiring Visitor. NATIONAL GEOGRAPHIC magazine, 1932 Feb.
QR Code for Downton Abbey Research Guide (see the Home page for a Guide Directory QR Code).